Matt on 05 7, 2010
The NBA playoffs are rocking & rolling, and it got me thinking: I need to write a mini-column why the NBA is better than college basketball. I’ve always been a bigger fan of the pro game. I find it disturbing that when I tell most people that I like the NBA better, they react to me like I just told them I have herpes. Here are my reasons, in no particular order:
1. The talent level doesn’t compare: Obviously, in the NBA, we’re seeing the best players, by far. Where else are you going to watch LeBron James play?
2. We get to see player’s careers unfold: So, let me get this straight, strictly college basketball fans: you’re going to pour your heart and soul into rooting for, say, John Wall, then not watch his career develop over the next 15 years?! Really, you’re going to forget he exists? Don’t you want to see his basketball destiny? Gimme a break. It’s not like he’s playing a different freakin sport in the NBA. Basketball is basketball.
3. Players can switch teams: Not every situation works out, so sometimes players are forced to leave. NBA players have the freedom to play wherever they want, once their contract is up. College basketball transfers are extremely rare, so you’re basically stuck in one spot in college.
4. Year to year, unless you’re getting paid to study the game, you have almost no idea who’s coming through college basketball: These strangers show up, disappear, and there’s just not much familiarity. Sure, some people like this, but not me.
5. 48 minutes vs. 40 minutes: More action! No brainer.
6. Better refereeing: Seriously, college referees stink.
7. Wacky team owners: Mark Cuban & Mikhail Prokhorov are going to be dueling it out for years, seeing who can rack up the most fines from David Stern!
8. 82 games: More action! No brainer.
9. Players get paid/rewarded for their hard work: The NCAA takes advantage of their student athletes, and makes tons of money off of them. Scumbags.
10. The best team always wins a 7 game series: The best team will win the NBA title. The best team doesn’t always win the NCAA tournament. Just ask Kansas. Or Northern Iowa.
Also, let me say this: College basketball diehards say that the atmosphere of games is so much better, but have you noticed how empty a lot of the arenas are in the NCAA tournament?
I can’t stand when college fans or non-NBA fans say “Oh, they don’t call traveling in the NBA, that was a travel!” Guess what, pal, these same players that are in the pros came through college basketball, and did the same exact moves to get to the basket. So screw you.
“NBA players don’t play defense. They don’t try. They just want money and that’s it.” Really? You really think that? Sure, there’s isolated incidents and players, but the overwhelming majority of the pros do care. Most of them thirst for a title. This isn’t the 70’s & 80’s when guys were doing coke.
I rest my case. I love this game!
Suck it, Dick Vitale.